A theme framework is a theme that is designed to be a flexible foundation that can serve as a parent theme for building child themes. The use of WordPress theme frameworks may ease theme development by reducing the volume of work which may be needed in creating a backbone for your theme (usually by using PHP and WordPress Template Tags).
Some Theme frameworks can also make theme development more accessible, removing the need for programming or design knowledge with options pages.
Here are some of the best WordPress Theme Frameworks:
1. Thesis Theme by DIYThemes
Simply put, Thesis is powerful. It has a remarkably efficient HTML
+ PHP framework and easy-to-use controls that you can use to fine-tune each and every page of your site with a tactical precision that has never been possible before. The days of worrying about your in-site SEO are over—with Thesis, your strategy is “just add killer content.”
WPKube is also running on Thesis Theme Framework.
Price: Thesis has two options – Personal & Developer option.
- Personal option – You can use it for one thesis website and one localized development environment. It costs $87
- Developer’s option – You can use thesis for as many sites as you can. Access to Client Site Options, which allow you to deploy Thesis on sites for clients. It costs $164
2. Genesis Framework by StudioPress
The Genesis Framework empowers you to quickly and easily build incredible websites with WordPress. Whether you’re a novice or advanced developer, Genesis provides the secure and search-engine-optimized foundation that takes WordPress to places you never thought it could go.
Price: It starts with $59.95
3. Headway Themes
Headway’s innovative Visual Layout Editor gives you the power to rearrange your site layout without touching a line of code. Even if you’re comfortable with HTML/CSS/PHP, the Visual Layout Editor saves you time. You can sculpt your design into anything you want. You’re not restricted by someone else’s ideas about columns or content layouts. The sky is the limit.
- Design Your Blog Visually
- Create Any Layout Imaginable
- Complete Control is Yours to Command
- Search Engine Optimization
- Friendly and Helpful Support Community
- Tutorials & Documentation in Plain English
Price: It has 3 pricing options to choose from –
- Base – Unlimited use and installations. One year of support and updates. Price – $68
- Standard – Unlimited use and installations. One year of support and updates + 3 Headway Child Themes. Price – $174
- All-Access – Unlimited use and installations. One year of support and updates + Access to all Headway Child Themes released for 1 year + Exclusive developer’s webinar. Price – $378
4. WooFrame by WooThemes
WooThemes is also among the top wordPress designers that offer free and paid themes. The WooFrame 2.X has been released with a lot of features that you can experience in using WordPress 3.0 especially the menu navigation drop-down effect. If you can not afford a paid child theme, you can still use WooFrame with free child themes.
5. Theme Hybrid
Hybrid is more than just a WordPress theme. It’s about pushing the limits with what WordPress can do. Something you can use to build anything from the smallest family blog to a powerful site that handles thousands of visitors a day.
Developed with child themes in mind, so you’ll never lose your customizations.
SEO optimized. No need for plugins to handle this anymore.
Theme options that are about content/information.
Templates for everything.
13 page templates.
Actively developed for WP 2.7 but backward compatible down to 2.5.
15+ plugins supported within the theme.
Attachment handling like you’ve never experienced.
Advanced breadcrumbs beyond any other theme.
Ability to run just about any type of site.
What are your thoughts on using Theme Framework for WordPress? Please let us know in the comments below.